Artificial sweeteners were originally developed to reduce obesity, but many long-term studies have shown these non-nutritious sugar substitutes can actually be responsible for weight gain and potentially even be highly dangerous to your health.
Research shows that regularly consuming non-caloric sweeteners alters activation patterns in the brain's pleasure centers in response to your sweet taste.
Over time, that means artificial sweeteners may not satisfy the desire for sweets and may increase sugar cravings.
According to recent studies, there are eight harmful side effects associated with artificial sweeteners:
- Long-term weight gain
- Increases in caloric consumption
- Increased risk of metabolic syndrome
- Increased risk of type 2 Diabetes
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- Decreased satiety
- Altered glucose homeostasis and blood sugar
Researchers have been reviewing short-term artificial sweetener studies and found there were no consistent effects on weight loss. But what's worse, long-term studies showed a link between consumption of artificial sweeteners and relatively higher risks of weight gain and obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease and other health issues.
This is all tied in to the fact that artificial sweeteners alter the way we process food and may even exacerbate the negative side effects of sugar.
Now you may be wondering, if artificial sweeteners are so bad for you, why are they in most diet foods?
There are two main reasons brands choose to use artificial sweeteners, and they both have to do with profits, not health:
1. They are very sweet and can be up to 600 times sweeter than sugar. That means only a tiny bit is needed which reduces costs for companies, and increases profits.
2. Artificial sweeteners are 50%-95% less expensive than healthy natural sweeteners like Stevia and Monk Fruit, or naturally derived erythritol. Many brands choose the cheaper option over the healthier one.
Protein Milkshake is committed to using only the highest quality natural sweeteners on the market. Our products are currently sweetened with natural stevia and erythritol, and our newest flavors will be sweetened with what is known as the Rolls Royce of sweeteners - a delicious combination of Organic Stevia and Monk Fruit.
We believe the best ingredients give our customers the best weight loss and health benefits and will only use the best ingredients in the world - because you deserve the best.