Low Carb Strawberry Shortcake Overnight Oats-Low Calorie and Gluten-Free
Transitioning into the summer season, it is the perfect time to eat your fruits as they are in season- we considered a couple of recipes but decided to combine our love of one of our favorite summer treats, strawberry shortcake and protein overnight oats. These strawberry overnight oats are so easy to meal prep and taste like a healthy low carb strawberry shortcake- blended into a strawberry protein shake.It’s like having dessert for breakfast.
Combine the strawberry shortcake with quick oats, your favorite plant milk, and keto-friendly Greek yogurt in less than five minutes to soak overnight and you have a delicious and heaping low-carb and high protein strawberry shortcake oats that can be enjoyed for a healthy breakfast, snack, or lunch to give you the necessary fuel for your day.
This recipe can also be made vegan and is gluten-free, can be made in batches, and a single serving of these delicious healthy and easy keto strawberry overnight oats boasts 33 grams of protein and only consists of 255 calories per serving!
What Are Overnight Oats?
If you have never tried overnight oats before- overnight oats are a no-cook way of preparing oatmeal (if you have not had oatmeal before, it is similar texture part of the grits family).
Preparing overnight oats is simple and pain-free and are a great way to create your daily breakfast in one batch to be enjoyed throughout the week. In overnight oat preparation, you soak your dry ingredient (oats) with your liquid base (milk or yogurt). You also have the option of adding optional toppings such as chocolate or fruit!
These overnight oat recipes will need to be prepared in mason jars or another mechanism in which the cap can be enclosed to allow the mixture to combine and soak overnight, which will cause your oats of choice to absorb the liquid base in which the next morning you will have a creamy mixture prepared for eating!
Since you can prepare overnight oats the night before, they make the perfect weekday breakfast on the go. These healthy overnight oats stay fresh in the fridge for several days, so they make a perfect meal prep option during busy weeks.
Below you will get a healthy and easy keto overnight oats recipe that combines plant milk, oats, and strawberries!
Are Overnight Oats Good for Weight Loss?
Overnight oats can absolutely help you lose weight if made with natural ingredients. Offering a healthy balance of carbs, protein, and healthy fats, overnight oats are also so versatile because it can be produced with different flavor profiles to create endless possibilities for your daily breakfast to obtain fuel on the go to satisfy your tastebuds and nutritional needs.
Healthy Overnight Oats That Taste Like Strawberry Shortcake
This low carb and easy keto strawberry shortcake overnight oats is a healthy take on the classic strawberry shortcake with a kicker- it actually does not contain strawberry shortcake! Instead, this healthy overnight oats strawberry shortcake recipe contains just three main components that have all the makings of a decadent strawberry shortcake dessert or strawberry ice cream.
The key to this overnight oats recipe includes Strawberry Shortcake Protein Milkshake or Cupcake Batter Protein Milkshake , ripened strawberries, and oats!
Tips for Making These Overnight Oats
If you have never made overnight oats before, here are a few tips:
- Make sure to mix all the ingredients as thoroughly as possible. After combining all the ingredients in your mason jar / container of choice, make sure the mixture is fully combined to avoid clumps in your jar the next morning.
- When serving, add more milk or yogurt to adjust the consistency. As the overnight oats chill overnight in the fridge, they soak up a lot of the moisture. When serving, you have the option to increase the liquid content of your oats- to make the overnight oats recipe more creamy, you can add more of the liquid base to improve the consistency.
- We recommend for optimal consistency matching the measurement of your dry ingredient (oats) with your liquid base (plant milk) to be equal, and then if adding yogurt, add a quarter of the ratio of measurement of your dry ingredient and liquid base of choice.
- For the milk choice, we recommend almond milk as it is keto-friendly, however dairy milk works as well.
How Long Do Overnight Oats Need to Soak?
For increased texture and consistency we recommend soaking overnight, however it is not mandatory to. Overnight oats can be made in as little s two to four hours- allowing you to enjoy your strawberry oats recipe on the same day.
We recommend giving your overnight oats recipe at least four hours of time to saok for optimal creamy goodness. Sometimes we forget to prep for oats or have a last minute craving, which makes this recipe versatile as it can be enjoyed anytime of the day. With this quick soak, they’re not as soft as overnight oats that have soaked longer and may be liquidier, but is still super delicious!
Ingredients for Strawberry Overnight Oats
- Protein Milkshake - Protein Milkshake is a low-carb and keto-friendly recipe which will increase the nutritional value and protein content of this recipe to give you the fuel needed for the day!
- Old Fashioned Oats – rolled oats are the best for overnight oats as they absorb the liquid base the best out of all oats to be used.
- Plant milk– Unsweetened almond milk is what we recommend, however you can use and play around with whatever you have on hand.
- Greek yogurt – Yogurt gives overnight oats an extra creamy texture while adding additional protein. Plain Greek yogurt is keto-friendly and has a high protein and low sugar content.To make this recipe vegan or dairy-free you can use a non-dairy yogurt or skip the yogurt all together and use additional plant milk.
- Honey or maple syrup – Pure maple syrup or honey are the perfect natural sweeteners to use because of the liquidity and that it blends in easily with the oats. or. Honey or another natural liquid sweetener will work here.
- Vanilla extract or almond extract – To get a touch of natural flavor, we like to add a hint of extract to uplift the protein oats recipe.
Does it Matter if I use Frozen or Fresh Strawberries?
You can use fresh or frozen strawberries for this recipe, depending on when they are in season where you live. We recommend fresh strawberries, however frozen strawberries are a great choice as well and can be used in preparation by soaking them in hot water to defrost before adding to your protein oats mixture.